K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 03-14-2002, 11:38 PM   #1
xnoahx

i Trader: (0 )

how does a lockup converter work?

Im going to swap in a th700 and Im wondering about the lockup converter. Does it work automaticly or does it nead input from something. Also, how can I tell if its a lockup converter or not?
xnoahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:47 AM   #2
Overkill

Re: how does a lockup converter work?

If it's a 700r4 it is a lockup converter. I believe some are locked by an electronic signal from the computer and some use vacuum to sense when to lock.
A torque converter is kind of like a centifugal clutch, it has little drag at idle, but when rpm rise the converter drags more and turns the input shaft to the tranny. Even while running down the highway there will be a little slippage in the converter due to the fluid (viscous) coupling that sends power from the motor to the tranny. A lockup converter will lock the viscous coupler inside solid so there is no slippage. What this does is prevent slippage, resulting in better gas mileage and it also reduces heat since the normal heat producing slippage is gone. I am not an expert, only going on theory, haha. If anything here is incorrect I hope someone will correct it. There is also more to it, this is just an overview. Hope this helps.
How to hook it up all depends on which type you have (electronic or vacuum/line pressure). There are kits to manually lock up the electric ones via a toggle switch. There are some plans where you can build your own switch also. YOu will probabaly have to do a search to find them.
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 07:48 AM   #3
Innerpiece

basically there is a plate with friction material, just like in a clutch. Under normal non-lockup ops (1st, 2nd, most of 3rd), there is tranny fluid pressure applied to both sides of the plate, so it doesn't do anything. When the lockup happens (for a 700, it goes 1st, 2nd, 3rd, lockup, 4th), a solenoid closes and there is no pressure applied to the engine side of the plate. So with pressure on one side and not the other, it presses the friction materials together and you get clutch style lockup. Good to know that if the gizmos that tell the tranny to lockup fail, it will revert to non-locked.

The Gospel as told by the Performance Automotive Transmission Center ... birthplace of my Raptor.
Innerpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 08:30 PM   #4
jimmy88

If your intrested, I got my old 700r4 converter cut in half. I could take some pictures and email them to you. Almost twisted the inside hub out of it pulling tree stumps. Amazing thing is it still worked, just a buzzing sound at times.
jimmy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 01:37 AM   #5
xnoahx

No, i dont need the pics, i think im good to go
xnoahx is offline   Reply With Quote