K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 04-15-2002, 09:21 PM   #1
efilnikufecin

i Trader: (0 )

700r4 shifting problems need help!

i bought the truck off a body of mine it's a 86.the motor was shot so i replaced it and got the tranny rebuilt at the same time.question is that sometimes shifting from 2nd to 3rd it will act like it get stuck between gears.it's like it goes into neutral until you let off then you can here it engage.it's not slipping because when it engages it does so hard.most the time it shifts fine ,good hard shifts no slipping.my tranny guy said it had to do with the performer intake and carb i installed.he said the kickdown or throttle position cable is not in the correct position?i know you can adjust it and i have in every consevable position.i still does it,is this tranny guy full of [censored] or is something else going wrong?any help would be greatly appreciated.
efilnikufecin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:15 PM   #2
riz

Re: 700r4 shifting problems need help!

<font color=blue> If you changed your manifold and carb then I'd say you need to adjustyour TV cable .......... it will affect your shift points if it's not adjusted correctly......... take it back to your tranny guy, he'll adjust it for you easy enough.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:24 AM   #3
ftn96

The bracket haas to be mounted correctly too. Have a look at 700r4.com and see some of the technical data on the conversions. I believe I remember it going over some of that.

But your tranny guy very well could have jacked something up with the check balls or with the servo. Sounds like its not releasing 2 gear as its going to 3rd. Which is a gonna cause that tranny to crap itself soon if you dont get it fixed.
ftn96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:33 AM   #4
sinchphoto

I'll tell you right now that your TV cable is not hooked up right. Does your tranny start good on first gear? how about overdrive does it kick in when its suppose to?
sinchphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:14 AM   #5
Wheels

If you still havve the original throttle linkage plate (the one the throttle and TV cable hooks up to) keep it. If not, go get one. The are around $13 at the GM parts store. I tried all the different aftermarket ones and the original was the only one that worked. It will fit the performer set (I have it on mine also). Mostly the symptoms of a mis adjusted TV cable are late or early shift points. Early shift, too much TV, and late shift too little TV. To adjust it, with engine off, have someone press the gass pedal all the way to the floor and hold it. Next, press the adjusting button on the TV cable and hold it while pushing the sleeve (the plastic portion that protrudes out from the center of the TV cable) towards the firewall until you feel it stop. This will get you very close. Release the adjusting button and then the pedal. Take it for a test drive and see how it works. If everything is okay within the tranny, you should notice a difference. With what you describe, sounds more like the valve body may have some crude in it on the 2-3 shift vale or the walls/piston are scored.
Another reason for this is during the rebuild someone has opened up the 2-3 feed hole to more than .093''. This causes the 2-4 band to be pushed off before the 3-4 clutch is applied. The fix requires a tear down of the transmission again and check that the 3-4 clutch clearance is between .025'' - .062'' and make sure 2-3 feed hole is .093'' or less (on the valve body spacer plate). Also, using a Vette servo # 093 will help to get rid of a 2-3 flair. But the 1-2 and 2-3 shift will be much firmer and this will lower the life expectancy of the tranny.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 01:30 PM   #6
MNorby
Supporting Member

i Trader: (7 )

GM of the month Winner

check out a post from last week called new motor now shifts hard. It has like 30 reply's about the TV cable etc. Everyone here is very helpfull
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:38 PM   #7
ftn96

Ok, now I have heard a total of 5 different ways to adjust a TV cable.
ftn96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 11:18 AM   #8
RAY
Supporting Member

I have the same problem, was wondering if this could cause the tranny to fail early.
ray
RAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
dyeager535
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

Yes
dyeager535 is offline   Reply With Quote