K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > IFS and new sheet metal rigs

Remove these ads.

Old 05-27-2002, 09:40 AM   #1
DuneRunnersDad

i Trader: (0 )

E-Brake adjustment (2001-Tahoe)

The e-brake goes all the way to the floor. Is this normal? How do I adjust it?
Thanks, DuneRunnersDad (Nor-Cal Big Dawgs)
DuneRunnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:32 AM   #2
Twiz

Re: E-Brake adjustment (2001-Tahoe)

The parking brake is a "low effort" style, far less effort is needed to engage the parking brake, when compared to early park-brakes.
The parking brake is a "drum in hat" style, meaning the rear brake rotor is also a brake drum too.

With that said, does it hold the truck in position?
If not, the parking brake shoes will need to be adjusted (possibly replaced).

Remove the rear tires.
Remove the caliper bracket by removeing the two 13mm bolts(15mm socket) that mount it to the axle houseing. These bolts are tight and have a thread locking compond appied to them, so it might be difficult.
Remove the caliper and caliper bracket as an assembly, (do not hang the calper by the hose, prop it up somewhere)
Remove the brake rotor.
Inspect parking brake shoe thickness, new parking brake shoes are only about 3/16" thick. The shoes tend to drag on the drum and wear out prematurly.
If the shoes are not worn completly out, you can flip the shoe around to extend thier service life, simply remove the 6mm bolt(8mm socket) that holds the retaining spring in position, remove the shoe. Keep an eye on the "wheel cyl", as it might loose it's cups and pin while the shoe is being removed. lubgicate the backing plate pad, where the spring/bolt hold the shoe. Flip the shoe around and reinstall.
To adjust the parking brake shoe, turn the star-wheel on the wheel cyl, alittle goes along ways here, and you do not want to over-adjust the shoes.
Reassemble, and test the parking brake, does it feel better?
Readjust as needed.

Also, inspect regular brake pad thickness, now would be good time to replace them if needed.
In some cases, parking brake shoe replacement might be covered under warranty.
Twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 07:25 PM   #3
DuneRunnersDad

Twiztid- Thanks for the info. Yes it does hold when used. I push if about half way down out of habiit when parked in the garage just so the lights don't come on when I fire it up the next day. Just not used to these new fangled setups.
**I did buy the "Painless Wiring " headlight kit but haven't had time to put it on.**
DuneRunnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 08:58 PM   #4
Twiz

How meny miles do you have on it?

The park brake shoes on the some of the 1/2 tons look like they are getting about 20,000 + miles to a set.
They shoudn't wear at all, but they do, because they are a single horses shoe shaped part and are left free to rock- back and forth. So, the drum grabbs 'em and shoes lighly dragg, wearing them out prematurly.

If your still under warranty, and are around 20,000 + miles, bring it in and complain of "low/no parking brake".

Keep an eye on the park-brake applied pedal hight, this style doesn't self-aedjust very well, and the height of the pedal as it engages a good indication of brake shoe wear.
low-speed rolling check: While lightly applieing the park-brake (one-click at attime) until it stops or you can feel it drag, and take a note of the height of the pedal, for comparisoin later. (keep in mind, it is a "low-effort system" and they will lock-up easily)
Twiz is offline   Reply With Quote