K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 07-20-2002, 09:46 PM   #1
Blazer_Boy

i Trader: (0 )

\'83 Exhaust Legal Loop Holes----FOUND! (Kinda)

What year did it become mandatory to HAVE to run the single pipe and one cat setup on trucks. Every exhaust shop in town is telling me I have to do that way before I can even get out what year it is to them. I have a cheeseball homemade dual setup at the moment with brand dynomax super turbos. It would be really nice to able to use those mufflers on nice pipes instead of having to be out the money for those mufflers. Not to mention how much easier transmission work is without a stupid crossover right in the way. I have some wierdo stainless steel tubular manifolds that GM used for a very short time on heavy duty applications. So the dynomax tubing kit wouldn't work. Heck I'd be even happy with true duals with a cat on each pipe. I always get the routine that it is HAS to be a single pipe. Does anyone know what the laws are on this and what options I'd have.
Blazer_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 07-20-2002, 10:00 PM   #2
84_Chevy_K10
Banned

Re: \'83 Exhaust Legal Loop Holes

If you don't have emissions tests, just ignore them and find someone to build you custom exhaust.

Did you try the Dynomax manifold dual kit with those tubular manifolds or the header dual kit?

If all else fails, tell them it's a '75 with a new front clip.
84_Chevy_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 12:43 AM   #3
dyeager535
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

It's been in the last few years. Basically, (unless you go with a newer engine) you can not alter the number of catalytic converters on the vehicle. *Thats* what kills everything. There is no "off-road use only" exemption anymore.

Since you've got those "headers" (those are sweet BTW) I can see where your problem stems from. I know its the same way around here, no one will touch my exhaust, unless you have friends in the right places : )

Stock diesel stuff bolts right up if you had the *standard* exhaust, but I'm curious now if anyone sells diesel exhaust kits? Thats a fairly decent loophole, as long as you are the one doing the installing.
dyeager535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 02:02 AM   #4
reddog64

i Trader: (1 )

me thinks it was mid 78...

the guy's that did me 78 k5 asked if it originally had duals no cats, he said something about a cut off year
reddog64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 10:41 AM   #5
jimmyjack

I was told noone in Tucson would replace my single with a dual exhaust. Until one sunshiny day a guy told me "unless the Y is damaged". (where the two pipes turn to one) Ask about that. See what happens. Good Luck. I never did it. I bought a parts blazer that had dual exhaust and put it on mine [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
jimmyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:29 AM   #6
84_Chevy_K10
Banned

400 SBC trucks had dual exhaust as far as I know.

I would like to see anyone show me a ticket that someone was written for not having a cat in a state without emissions tests. I've never seen one--only loud exhaust tickets.
84_Chevy_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:31 AM   #7
Batmanjr

My 83 Diesel came with stock true duel, and a muffler shop here will run anything you want as long as you say it's for off-road purpose only! That's the way I get my exhaust done! I still have the factory 83 setup and my wife's 87 has true dual 3" with nothing but flowmasters(NO CATS!) That was installed by the muffler shop for $200! Had to pay cash if you know what I mean! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Batmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 06:14 PM   #8
Blazer_Boy

I may be able to BS my way into saying its a full vortec motor. I only have the Vortec heads and almost stock idle. Hmm, I could buy the Dynomax pipe kit and see what I can pull off. One pipe may bolt up, but not the passenger's side. It doesn't have the straight down drop, but comes out at 45 degrees like the drivers. One side also comes down further than the others. I should have got headers [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] On the other hand though these manifolds don't crack, rust, or got extremely hot.
Blazer_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 07:08 PM   #9
white-rhyno

i Trader: (1 )

Man, I work at an exhaust shop and we will do just about anything to any rig. But then again, we dont have to worry about emmision laws.
white-rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:04 PM   #10
dyeager535
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

As long as the motor was certified for dual exhaust (thinking Camaro's of a couple of years...center bolt valve covers would have been the norm then) and has all the emissions stuff on it from that vehicle, then you are set. Of course, most shops won't take the time to figure out if its all correct, but if you are carbed, its not going to be too tough. Don't think the carbed Camaro's ever got duals with two cats : (

However, *they* shouldn't have to research this stuff that deep, not sure how the law would look on it, but if they are doing what they *think* is right, I would hope that the law would back them up if they got reported.
dyeager535 is offline   Reply With Quote