K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2002, 10:53 PM   #1
chulisohombre

i Trader: (0 )

14 bolt hub removal (updated)

i got a 14 bolt from the junkyard.im going to install it next week.i tried to get the hubs off today and i think the brake pads are rust locked onto the hubs.i tried apraying some penetrating oil on them and am going to try again in a couple of days.anybody have any good ideas on how i can get this think apart.this is the first 14 bolt ive owned and hopefully the last,but i need to get it apart so i can see what everything looks like.also,does the 80-90 weght lube the bearings or is there supposed to be bearing grease on the outer bearings?
chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:56 PM   #2
Swanson52

Re: 14 bolt hub removeal

Have you tried backing off the brake shoes using the star wheel from the back side? I did this on one awhile back, and it worked well. And I used the BFH, always a handy tool. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Swanson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:22 AM
Posted in reply to Swanson52's post "Re: 14 bolt hub removeal"
chulisohombre

i got the hub to move but the brakes are rusted to the drum and the springs and everytrhing else do not move either because of rust.im going to get the disk brake kit so i dont need the drums but i cant get them off of the axle.i also tried the adjuster but too much rust for that to move also. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 10:26 AM   #4
Greg72
"Might As Well..."

i Trader: (10 )

Rear axle is completely lubed by gear oil ONLY. Just make sure that when you fill the pumpkin for the first time, you tilt it little bit toward each wheel to make sure the oil gets into the bearings, then top off the pumpkin and call it good.

No idear on getting those drums off....mine were already disassembled when I got mine, and there's no road-salt here in CA....so things come apart easier anyway. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:33 AM
Posted in reply to Greg72's post "Re: 14 bolt hub removeal"
chulisohombre

thanxs greg.one problem solved,now for the other.any better ideas than beating the hell out of it with a sledgehammer.i was just using a 16 ounce ballpeen hammer before.maybe a sledge will get it off [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 10:38 AM
Posted in reply to chulisohombre's post "Re: 14 bolt hub removeal"
Greg72
"Might As Well..."

i Trader: (10 )

Just to ask the "dumb" question.....you have already removed the axles from the hubs, and removed the spindle nuts and washers, right? [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

If I am imagining it right, the drum you are trying to remove it pressed to the outer hub using the 8 wheel studs, so it's going to come off as a complete assembly.....then, once you have the drub/hub off, you can press out the wheel studs to allow you to seperate the drum from the outer hub.

Sorry if that's obvious....I'd hate to see you banging on that drum all day, and never get anywhere! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Posted in reply to Greg72's post "Re: 14 bolt hub removeal"
chulisohombre

yep all is torn apartits just that the drum is rusted to the brake pads and it wont come loose.i already broke the brake retainers that hold it to the backing plate so the brake are free themselves but the springs are still holding onto the brakes.i wish gm hadnt gone with this kind of a setup.should have been two piece like the 12 bolt.would have made my life much easier.but once i get it off i wont have to worry bout it again,but thats my worry still right now.getting it off of there.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Leadfoot
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

To add to the "obvious", is the parking/emergency brake lever pushed down (or even if the pedal is up where it should be, the cable sometimes hangs up). And if it is a free standing axle, check the individual cables that attach to the backing plate to make sure they aren't stuck in a position where they are pulling.
Leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 01:10 PM
Swanson52

BFH, and can you fit a long prybar between the backing plate and the lip of the drum? Leverage sometimes is more effective than violent abuse...even though the abuse is more fun. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Swanson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:40 PM   #10
bablazer73
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

got torches?? I had one that wouldn't budge no matter what I did. I finally got pissed at took the torches to the drum and cut it off!! I was putting disc on it so I didn't care about the drums. Maybe a 20# sledge and some anger will crack it!!??
bablazer73 is offline   Reply With Quote