K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > GM Diesel

Remove these ads.

Old 12-31-2002, 03:54 AM   #1
marcus

i Trader: (0 )

tighten up power steering belt

Guys,

This might seems like a really stupid question, but how the hell do I tioghten up the power steering belt on my truck? I replaced the alt belt yesterday and noticed that the PS belt was quite loose. But I couldn't work out which bolts to loosen and it was getting dark and I didn't want to end up with no steering.

thanks!

M

marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:27 AM
Posted in reply to marcus's post "tighten up power steering belt"
marcus

Re: tighten up power steering belt

anyone?

basically, which bolts do I loosen up? I looed to me like there were two bolts that help the pump in "runners" and one bolt that the pump pivoted around....is this right?

I am trying to fix this as the truck has developed a very annoying squeaking noise, but I can't locate it. I covered the whole front of the engine with WD40 (a lubricant, not sure if it's the same in the States), but it has made no difference. I'm hoping that what I think sounds like a dry bearing is actually the PS belt slipping. The sound is rev related, not raod speed. Starts on idle and gets more squeaky as you speed up. But it never stops, as in my experience squealy belts do. I may just have to remove one belt at a time until the squeak goes away....then I'll have found the source.

Anyway, please help me! Which bolts do I undo??

TIA

M
Old 12-31-2002, 08:43 AM   #3
tRustyK5
Big meanie

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor GM of the month Winner

Look for a bolt farthest out from the motor on the PS bracket. If it's going through a slotted slightly radiused hole that's the adjuster bolt. I beleive the PS pump pivots on a stud attached to the head.

I should be able to visualize it exactly as I just installed my hydroboost and power steering a week or two ago...but they say the second thing to go is your memory. (can't remember what the first is[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

I do have an illustration in my Chilton's manual I could scan and upload if you like. It's not the best drawing but I may be able to enlarge it a bit.

Rene
tRustyK5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 09:03 AM   #4
tRustyK5
Big meanie

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor GM of the month Winner

I'm not sure how much it will help...

That's about as good as I could get it...the image should be up on my webshots in a little while. It takes a while before it shows up on my public page. here is the URL, you may be able to magnify the image better there. It should be the last image in the Winter project album...

http://community.webshots.com/album/57606341ttALZR

Rene
tRustyK5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 09:07 AM   #5
BigBluOx

On my [img]/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif[/img] there are two slotted bolts for adjustment and one pivot bolt. I will loosen the pivot bolt just enough to allow the PS pump to move after the adjustment bolts are loosened. When I get it to the tightness I like, I'll tighten one of the adjustment bolts, then the pivot bolt, then the last adjustment bolt (it's still tough to get tools up in there with enough room to adjust it well). I have had an alternator belt that appeared tight still squeal on my truck, so it might be a good idea to make sure it's plenty tight (maybe I'm getting weak Alt. belts, they seem to stretch after initial install [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] and I end up having to re-tighten the belt within a week).

Jon [img]/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif[/img]
BigBluOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 09:15 AM   #6
marcus

thanks for that guys....I thought that there were two adjusting bolts/nuts and one pivot one, it's just that most anciliaries only have the one adjuster and I didn't want the front of the engine fall off when I loosened the wrong nut....

I'll give it a go this weekend when I'm actually home and it's light....

Thanks

m
Old 12-31-2002, 09:57 AM   #7
imiceman44
Supporting Member

i Trader: (22 )

Yep 2 of them on the power steering pump, I don't know why.
imiceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 10:25 AM   #8
arveetek

I would re-check your alternator belt first. The 6.2L loves to eat alternator belts. When you install a new belt, you need to run it for a few hours, and then re-tighten it again. This will help it last longer. There are also various pulleys on the market to help make the alternator belt life longer. It's a lot easier to adjust the alternator belt tension than it is the PS pump!

Do you have a/c? If so, there should be a second belt running around the PS pump and the a/c compressor. If you do, then I doubt it's your PS squealing. Even if the lower PS pump belt is loose, it probably won't squeal. If you don't have a/c, or it's not hooked up, then it's very likely it could be squealing.

BTW...did you get any WD-40 on the belts? If so, you'll need to replace them. The lubricant will soak into the belts and they'll never get a good bite again.

Casey
arveetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:13 PM
Posted in reply to marcus's post "tighten up power steering belt"
OFFRDK5

Did you happen to check the fluid level in the PS pump? How old is the pump and has it ever been replaced?
OFFRDK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 02:39 PM   #10
BigBluOx

Arveetek ~ do you have any links or suggestions on those aftermarket pulleys? I seem to go through alternator belts every 3 or so months... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Jon [img]/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif[/img]
BigBluOx is offline   Reply With Quote