K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2000, 11:55 PM   #1
shum1

i Trader: (0 )

Can Vortec heads work with 350 tbi?

I'm having a hard time choosing an engine, these are my issues:
1.I have a 1990 350 tbi, Id like to use my stock accessories including my TBI unit.
2. I want more power for towing.
3. Smog legal
4. MUST run on regular unleaded.(I drive in Baja alot)
5. Under 3 grand.

Im considering a GM perormance engine, building my own, or dressing up a GM goodwrench engine. What are my options for combining tbi to one of these engines? Can tbi work with vortec or alum heads?
thanks.

shum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 10-12-2000, 06:25 AM   #2
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Can Vortec heads work with 350 tbi?

On the Vortech head question you can run an edlebrock performer intake with the vortech bolt patern and run an adapter to use the tbi.Another option is to get some dart s/r's these are good heads and you can use your stock intake.You can also buy some alum heads,the best thing about
them is that you can run a little higher compression on the same gas.The Vortech's are good heads,but in your case there
is a little more adapting involved.The main reason people run the Vortech heads is that their cheeper,but with all the adapting involved in your case you mite be money ahead to go with an atermarket head that will let you use your stock equipment.
Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2000, 09:02 AM
Posted in reply to **DONOTDELETE**'s post "Re: Can Vortec heads work with 350 tbi?"
87Blzr

I'm not sure I understand why the Vortec heads are so unadaptable to his tbi motor. A friend has these on a 383 and I believe they have the center two bolts straight like the 87 and up intakes. These heads were stock on the mid nineties trucks. The adapt problem I believe was more when you wanted to use a carb because at the time there wasn't anyone that made a carb intake with the proper bolt pattern. Now they make everything to do everything. Its been a while since I had to deal with the Vortec's so maybe I am missing something. What problems do you run into putting Vortec's on a 87 and up tbi motor? People do use them because they are cheap but they also flow better than the bowtie heads. They are great heads. Why so hard to adapt?

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro
87Blzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2000, 09:04 AM   #4
87Blzr

BTW I have noticed lately they also offer the Vortec's in the old style bolt pattern so you can use the old intakes on them. That won't help in his case but its now possible to bolt any intake to these heads now

Old 10-12-2000, 09:13 AM   #5
Blazer1970

87Blzr, the Vortec heads use an intake bolt pattern that is completely different than any previous SBC. There are only 8 bolts (four on each side, 2 at each end), and they all go in straight up and down. I keep hearing rumors that GM Performance is coming out with a TBI intake for the Vortec heads, but I haven't seen one yet. You would think it would be a good seller, since so many of the current crate engines are using these heads, and a lot of people want to put the crate motors in TBI trucks.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
1987 Suburban 4X4 350
1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350
Blazer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2000, 11:02 AM   #6
Wheels

The drilled and tapped heads were designed for bracket racers. Jim Pace and Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center does not recommend them for street use. Edelbrock makes a manifold for Vortec heads but it's a carb type. There are TBI's out there that can bolt on to a carb type manifold but since you already have it, I would opt for the World Casting S/R Torquer heads for cast iron or a set of Edelbrock Performer Aluminum heads.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2000, 11:20 AM   #7
Donovan

The vortec head would be an great setup for you. Here you go on the redrilled heads. http://www.paceparts.com/small_block_chevy_heads.htm

Donovan

Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2000, 12:25 PM   #8
87Blzr

Thanks for enlightening me. Blazer70, as soon as you mentioned only eight bolts it all came back to me. Thanks