K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 10-25-2000, 04:24 PM   #1
DPI

i Trader: (7 )

14 Bolt Hub Bearing Questions

I am replacing the wheel seals on my 14 bolt FF and need to know what to do with the wheel bearings. I have soaked the hubs in solvent and now need to reinstall them back on the spindles. What do I need to do to the bearings after cleaning them? I have heard to use a light coat of grease so they do not burn up before the gear oil gets to them. Also, what should I torque these to?

DPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 10-25-2000, 10:29 PM
Posted in reply to DPI's post "14 Bolt Hub Bearing Questions"
8_YOUR_H2

i Trader: (5 )

Re: 14 Bolt Hub Bearing Questions

Dont you hate it when no one has an answer to your question but 15 people have responded to the "Why my blazer is so cool" Post!?!?! Well I have the answer. You have to pack the bearings with wheel bearing grease and coat the races with grease too. Then the torque specs are as follows...The adjusting nut needs to be torqued to 50 foot pounds while rotating the hub to make sure the bearing surfaces are in contact then back off the nut and tighten to 35 foot pounds then back off 1/4 turn. Then goes the retainer then the outer locknut it needs to be torqued to 65 foot pound...thank you chiltons!!

8_YOUR_H2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 10:48 PM
Posted in reply to DPI's post "14 Bolt Hub Bearing Questions"
blazen91

i Trader: (0 )

85mouse:you said it brother...

DP_90K5: I don't know if the gear oil lubes them or if they are lubed by the greese on the bearings(like the front).If that is the case you need to "pack the bearings" with a lot of grease. If it is oiled by the gear oil, then the oil should get to the bearings when you top off the rear end.

**Are bearings lubed by the Gear oil or by grease in the 14bff??

blazen91

blazen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 11:20 PM   #4
Waxer

Article Contributor

The 14 bolt FF has "Wet" hubs. Meaning they are oiled by the gear oil in the diff.

Waxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 09:09 AM
Posted in reply to Waxer's post "Re: 14 Bolt Hub Bearing Questions"
DPI

Thanks guys,
My main concern is the bearings are "wet" lubed. Does the wheel bearing grease affect the gear oil? Hey Mouse, what year are you looking at? My 14 ff does not have a retaining washer or outer lock nut. It has an adjusting nut and Cotter Key that slides between the nut and spindle to hold the nut from backing off. Then a retainer clip holds the Cotter Key in place. Thanks again! DP

DPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Posted in reply to DPI's post "Re: 14 Bolt Hub Bearing Questions"
akonitony

Location: Alabama and Florida. Not the best at decision making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPI View Post
Thanks guys,
My main concern is the bearings are "wet" lubed. Does the wheel bearing grease affect the gear oil? Hey Mouse, what year are you looking at? My 14 ff does not have a retaining washer or outer lock nut. It has an adjusting nut and Cotter Key that slides between the nut and spindle to hold the nut from backing off. Then a retainer clip holds the Cotter Key in place. Thanks again! DP
I think he was talking about the light-duty 14BFF setup, which has two spindle nuts. I know my '78 K20 has that setup. On my 5/4-ton military trucks, they all have the single spindle nut and a square woodruff-type key that locks the nut in place witha retainer clip holding the key. I remember the first time I tried taking one of them apart. The "outer nut" would not budge and all the grease and oil was blocking the view of the ket and retainer. I even went so far as to hitting it with a 1/2" impact to see if it would budge, and it wouldn't. That is when I decided to clean it off a little and discovered GM had found yet another way to stun and amaze me with their technical prowess.
Anyway, I am in the process of rebuilding the rear end on one of my M1008 military trucks and it has one of these rear-ends in it. When I took it apart, the bearings were greased pretty heavy still. Now here is where I have a question. The way the gear lub is suppossed to circulate is through the little holes in the adjusting collars that hold the diff carrier in place. All the grease from the bearings had circulated around the axle pretty well and turned the gear lube into gear lube plus chunks o' grease. The little holes in the adjusting collars were about half clogged with grease. I am thinking it is better to leave the grease off the bearings, coat them with gear lube before assembly, and splurge a little with the gear lube and use synthetic gear lube rather than petroleum-based.
This brings up the next point in my mini-novel here. I have 6 of the 2.5-ton trucks as well, aka deuce-n-a-halfs, and they have an inner hub seal, an axle flange seal and an outer hub seal that fits over the spindle after you out the hub and bearings in. You are also suppossed to run a bead of silicon sealant around the spindle to make sure the gear oil does not get to the hubs. I will try and attach a pic of a 5-ton hub with this same arrangement and see what y'all think. I have more than 5 pics, so I will split them with another post after this one.
Thanks in advannce for any help you guys give here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050049.jpg (7.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg P1050052.jpg (7.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg P1050054.jpg (6.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg P1050055.jpg (6.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg P1050057.jpg (7.3 KB, 85 views)
akonitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Posted in reply to akonitony's post starting "I think he was talking about the..."
akonitony

Here are some more pics of the hub being finished to the point the axle shaft can be installed. I guess the point of these pics is basically to contrast these hubs with a seal vs. hubs without an outer seal. The 14BFF hubs, I would think, would not require grease since they are not sealed from the gear lube. I would also speculate greasing the bearings might cause problems with full circulation of gear oil if the grease starts clogging up the little holes I mentioned earlier. I know it sure did not help on my trucks bearings either as one of the inner bearings had just started to spin a little on the spindle. This may been due to the spindle nut not being torqued properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050059.jpg (7.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg P1050064.jpg (6.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg P1050066.jpg (7.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg P1050067.jpg (6.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 11-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Posted in reply to akonitony's post starting "Here are some more pics of the hub..."
76zimmer
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
tony how did you dig this one up?

RYOKEN: eesh, tonight, I'm contemplating 2 custom rear crossmembers and a $600 custom ss fuel tank.... what the F*CK is wrong with me?!?!?!!? :

CYBRFIRE: Nah, stainless is too brittle man. That would surely explode and kill you to death.
76zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Posted in reply to 76zimmer's post starting "tony how did you dig this one up?"
akonitony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76zimmer View Post
tony how did you dig this one up?
I was digging fer taters ya see, and up from the ground comes this black stuff. OIl that is, black gold...
Next thing ya know, I is a millionaire. Kin-folk said I should move away from there. California's the place I oughta be...

Yeah, ok, I won't go any further with the Beverly Hills theme. I dug this 10-year-old thread up trying to figure out if I should grease my 14BFF bearings before I reinstall them, or leave them with just a light coat of oil on them, like I usually do. The 5-ton pics I attached are the ones that got me thinking, along with the fact the bearings were greased when I took them out. I checked the military training manual for the CUCV trucks I have, and it has front wheel bearings listed under things that require grease, but not the rear ones. Me thinks it is ok to put back'um rear wheel bearings with light coat of gear oil and be full of happiness and joy.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Posted in reply to akonitony's post starting "I was digging fer taters ya see, and up..."
90'K5

Ohh hell, I was looking at the OP join date and post count and thought is he for real...then noticed the post date..
90'K5 is offline   Reply With Quote