K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
NewK5Guy

i Trader: (0 )

Difference between a dually axle and a single wheel axle???

Deal is done.[img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] "Deal of a lifetime" should go down this weekend or next week some time. I bought the K3500 '90 1 ton with the plow[img]/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif[/img]. Only a few minor issues to deal with(plow solonoid, headlamps, shocks), but other than that, no lack of get up and go. But, guestion: Dude pulled out the original window sticker. Is that cool or what? Says the truck has a factory locking differential. Detroit or Gov-loc? Also, can't I just take off the dually rims and run a single wheel and be just fine? There's no track difference in the 2 axles, right? Drum to drum, dually axles and single wheel axles are the same measurement, with only the spring perches being different. Is that correct? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
NewK5Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:02 PM   #2
nvrenuf
Supporting Member
Bazinga!

i Trader: (17 )

Re: Difference between a dually axle and a single wheel axle???

It really depends on the what the truck is, is it a C/K series or R/V series? Is it a Dana 70 or 14 bolt? Look at the window sticker it will tell you which series truck it is. Also look for on the sticker and see if it says "Cab Chassis" anywhere.

Generally speaking the single wheel and dually axles will be different. On a truck originally sold with a bed the dually axle is much wider than a single wheel axle, on a cab chassis the dually axle is usually much narrower.

The front axle will also be set up with dually hubs so it will be considerably wider than a single wheel axle. All of this is not necessarily bad but they may make things a little difficult to convert to single wheels.
nvrenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 09:09 PM   #3
R72K5
Banned

i can get you exact width measurements soon when i get the 1 ton dually here, ive got a pickup SRW 14 bolt FF right now i can measure and compare to the cab chassis DRW 14 bolt FF soon, perches distance differs from 3/4 ton to 1 ton, 1 ton has narrower separated packs

good luck

R72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:45 PM   #4
NewK5Guy

Ooooops. Must be getting old. Keep forgetting all the pertanent info. Post edited. It is a K3500 with what I believe is a 14 bolt. The sticker doesn't say, but it does state "independant front suspension", "insta-trac transfer case", "dual rear wheels", "locking differential-rear axle", "rear axle-3.73 ratio", and "wideside pickup equipment". Unfortunately there are no order codes so I can't cross reference. Plus, it's kinda vague. If more than one rear axle was available, you'd figure the sticker would differentiate. The sticker does sate "ez-spec package-P3A1" if that helps. Guess I'll just have to wait. All will be truly revealed soon. I was just hoping to get a jump on it.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:46 PM   #5
NewK5Guy

PM me with those measurements. I'm very curious as I want to dump the dually setup and go single wheel. I have no desire to have to buy 6 new tires. Luckily the tires on the truck now are new, but it could use something with a bit more aggresive tread.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:36 PM   #6
u2slow

Does it have a pickup box, or is it a flatdeck?

Sounds like a wide-track 14FF rear (w/Gov-Lock). There's a chance it may have a D70, and then you'd have a Powr-Lok.

Since its IFS, you can take off the front hub extensions and bolt on single wheels. The rear you can just bolt on the single wheels, but it may look a little funny under a dually pickup box (if that's what you have).
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 06:52 PM   #7
R72K5
Banned

[ QUOTE ]
PM me with those measurements. I'm very curious as I want to dump the dually setup and go single wheel. I have no desire to have to buy 6 new tires. Luckily the tires on the truck now are new, but it could use something with a bit more aggresive tread.

[/ QUOTE ]

ill go ahead and get 14 bolt FF pickup SRW WMS to WMS measurement tommorrow, axle is in back of the pickup and wheels removed, so.,,.
R72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 06:55 PM   #8
NE-RokToy

Pickup wide side..... sounds like just a normal dually pickup. Don't know about the newer trucks but most dually's had a wider rear axle in the 74" range. Also why do want to get rid of the duals? if it going to be used for any kind of work its only a benifit.
NE-RokToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 04:37 PM   #9
NewK5Guy

WEll, tire price was the thought. I really didn't like the fact I'd have to buy 6 tires at a time now. I have plenty of time to work that out as the tires on it now are new. I just wanted something with a more aggresive tread, like my old Mud Terrains. Sure, I could just take off the outer rims for summer driving, but then you get into empty fenders sticking out, uneven tire wear, and just a plain nuisance, at least to me. My ultimate plan would be to convert it to single rear wheel with matching bed. BUT, since it obviously a work truck, I may just fix the dually fenders, get some pain on it, and leave it alone. Can't deny that rear contact patch. I WOULD just go ahead and get 6 of the tires I like, but having to buy 6 Mud Terrains in about 31"(32"? whatever stock size is) would get a bit expensive.
Eh. It's nothing urgent or important right now. Just a thought.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:40 PM   #10
NewK5Guy

It's a pickup bed, 6 foot I think. IT looked like a 14 bolt when I peeked under the last time I looked at it during daylight, but then, I could be wrong. Just have to wait until I finally sign the title. Is that power lock any better than the Gov-loc? I know all about the gov loc.