K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 69-72 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
clubba68

i Trader: (0 )

Disc Brake Conversion for 1970 K5

I am purchasing my first K5 this weekend.
It is lifted 4" and is running 33's. It has 4 wheel drums non-power, and I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a power disc brake conversion for the front. I have heard the same from everywhere I have gone and called, and that is that no one makes a conversion for the first-gens, at least not a front conversion (only available on 2wd), and I was wondering if anyone has done this swap, and if you just have to use used parts, and if anyone has a step-by-step website, a list of parts, pretty much anything will help.
Also, my email address is onyx_1@hotmail.com
Thank you, I really appreciate any and all help.
-Andrew
clubba68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 04-26-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
70~K5

Re: Disc Brake Conversion for 1970 K5

Just swap in a front axle from a '71 or newwer. The '73 up have better ujoints in the front axle. And use the brake booster from a '71-'72. It can be out of a 2 or 4wd truck or blazer. Get the brake lines and prop valve too.
70~K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:20 PM   #3
clubba68

Would it work to just swap the gear off the axle rather than to swap the whole axle? If the flanges are the same would it be a possible swap?
Thanks for the help already.
clubba68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
IGOR
Supporting Member

i Trader: (3 )

Clubba68

Sent you a pm
IGOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:07 AM   #5
Topdown

Welcome to CK5 man... check out the PNW forum... you will definitely find some locals to help you out. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

As for the D44 conversion, its easier to swap the entire axle than gears and pieces. The D44 from any first gen will golt straight in. I am not 100% certain about a 2nd gen.

As for parts, check out:
http://www.offroaddesign.com/
http://www.a-tron.net/
http://www.lmctruck.com/ (order a catalog - they have it all)
http://www.chevyduty.com/ (order a catalog - they have it all)
Also, check out a place in portland called something like Dan's Classic Chevrolet - tons of stuff there like Chrome front/rear bumpers for $130.00 (cheaper than anywhere else plus shipping)

There are a bunch more places/catalogs/etc... to get parts from, each place will have some parts cheaper than another so I usually hit 4 or 5 different catalogs/phone calls before making any purchases.

-Ryan [img]/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif[/img]
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:12 AM   #6
70~K5

[ QUOTE ]
Would it work to just swap the gear off the axle rather than to swap the whole axle? If the flanges are the same would it be a possible swap?
Thanks for the help already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really as a '72 and earlier axle has the 260 jeep sized Ujoints in it. Find a '73 or newwer axle either D44 or 10B with the gear ratio that you want to run and just slide one out and the other one in. 4 Ubolts the drag link and the brake lines then the axles outa there and reverse for the new one. Less work than changing all the parts over and stronger too. Then put the rest of the hardware on the truck and you're done. Easy weekend swap withh all the parts there ahead of time.
70~K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:45 PM   #7
Triaged

I do not know about swapping the booster/master but I am sure there is something that will swap directly there.

On the axle I have heard that the drum outter knuckle has a rotated bolt pattern and so you might have to do a knuckle out swap for the disc brake parts.

Everything on a 73- D44 will swap directly and if it was up to me I would just drop in a newer D44 and have it done with. You might take this as a good time to swap gear ratios.

If you swap to a 10Bolt you will need a conversion u-joint at the pinion and new brake flex lines and banjo bolts. Other than that they are a direct swap.

You will be safe as long as you don't start to mix and match pieces (i.e. spindles and hubs). If you do want to mix and match you will want to look into the differences between 1st design D44's, 2nd design D44's and 10Bolts.

Edit:
If you do get a newer axle get the spring plates with it just in case you ever want to put in a sway bar up front. The 73- plates have bolt holes for the sway bar in them.
Triaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:53 AM   #8
mcmlxix

I have an 88 K5 blazer donor truck. I can swap both front and rear complete rears? All the perches and brackets bolt up? What about steering? Do I use the 88 steering arm or the 70 steering arm? Can I use the power brake booster from the 88 with the mounting bracket from a 72 that had power brakes?
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:57 AM   #9
6869704x4

Not the rear. The spring perchs are different width.
I did the disc swap on my 70 awhile back. It is way easier to swap the whole axle. I wasnt so lucky. The axle I got had a trashed carrier. If you cant find a whole axle you will need to swap everything from the knuckles out. And get the axle shafts too.
Brake lines were easy. You can try 73 or so chevy van front lines, they are two feet long.
Advance auto parts used to sell the booster/master cylinder as a unit, if you cant find one in a yard. I using an adjustable prop valve.
While you got the knuckles out get the right one machined for xover steering.hehe
6869704x4 is offline   Reply With Quote