K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 06-21-2003, 12:06 AM   #1
Topdown

i Trader: (0 )

does flipping your air cleaner lid actually work?

Ok... so I have read that flipping your lid works, but I want to hear it from folks that have done it. Is it just a TBI thing? Fuel injected benefit?

Thanks in advance.
-Ryan
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:18 AM   #2
Can Can
Pusher Man

Re: does flipping your air cleaner lid actually work?

Are you referring to flipping the air cleaner lid upside down to create an open element air cleaner?

If so, keep in mind that doing so will allow your engine to suck in warm air from the engine compartment. You're better off making sure that cooler air reaches the intake.

The only thing that I know it accomplishes for sure is that it makes your engine sound a little louder....... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Can Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:23 AM   #3
tRustyK5
Big meanie

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor GM of the month Winner

Hillbilly horsepower...it's louder, it must be faster[img]/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

A cooler intake charge is better for power...but you can't hear it with the ducting in place.

Rene
tRustyK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:26 AM   #4
Topdown

heheh... like fart-can mufflers - Damn, thats the fastest Honda I have ever heard.
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:44 AM   #5
mosesburb
Supporting Member
For Rent

GM of the month Winner

I've done it to my own TBI and carbureted vehicles, either the flipping method or replacing the lid with a smaller diameter one. I know the air entering the filter will be hotter, but I have noticed (seat of the pants style) a nice increase in power/slightly longer powerband on all of the vehicles I have done it to. The cooler air theory is definitely a valid one, but so many of the factory "cold air ducts" are undersized, pick up air from a less than desireable area, or have a restriction in them. Sometimes the restriction is for noise reduction, but I will take the noise increase for the power increase any day. Hey, if nothing else, try it--if you don't like it, flip it back over (as free of a mod as you can get [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]). Every vehicle will like something different, mine like it, yours may not.
Just my $.02. Have Fun!
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:45 AM   #6
70~K5

[ QUOTE ]
Ok... so I have read that flipping your lid works, but I want to hear it from folks that have done it. Is it just a TBI thing? Fuel injected benefit?

Thanks in advance.
-Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimea it does. A friend of mine had a '69 Camero that the seconderies wouldn't open on the Q-jet, fliped the air cleaner top and they opened fine. On his it wouldn't pull enough air thru the snorkel. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
70~K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 02:02 AM   #7
dyeager535
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

Flowtest your air intake system, and compare that to the CFM your throttle body is *capable* of flowing.

Either that, or dyno test both combinations.

Not a clear cut answer, seat of the pants dyno doesn't cut it. Hotter air=less power, but also too little air=less power.

I speculate that when you throw in whatever temp differences there are, and figure in any intake restriction, you will see very little difference between maximum engine airflow requirements and maximum air intake CFM numbers.

Of course inlet design is very important, us later guys have a much larger air intake, stock, than the earlier trucks.

I've flipped the air cleaner lid, noticed no MPG difference which indicates there is no efficiency lost there.

Anyone got any calculations for CFM for air through a pipe? I can go measure the stock later plastic tube for diameter if so. Some variables that can't be accounted for easily, ribbed pipe, change from round to rectangle, etc., but might give us an idea.

dyeager535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:26 PM   #8
mosesburb
Supporting Member
For Rent

GM of the month Winner

I still think it is easier/cheaper to flip the lid and see if it runs better. Why build a clock if all you want to know is what time it is??
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote