K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 07-30-2003, 11:20 PM   #1
3car

i Trader: (2 )

fullsize truck and u-haul tow dolly???

has anyone ever tried to pull a 73-87 2wd fullsize with a u-haul dolly?i cant find a trailer to rent,and im running out of options.u-haul says it weighs too much,but my concern is width.truck has stock 235/75/15 tires.
3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:26 PM   #2
Toledo

i Trader: (0 )

Re: fullsize truck and u-haul tow dolly???

I towed my 1 ton from Florida to Louisiana on one. That was the drive on one with all 4 wheels on it. Tell em your pulling an S-10 or something. Should work with stock wheels and I only had about 4 inches to give on wheel base with a long bed. Once I got it on the trailer I aired down to about 5 PSI to add stability and lower center of gravity.
Toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:33 PM   #3
naranja72
Supporting Member

I just towed my 72 blazer on a Uhaul drive-on trailer, it fit okay with 33-12.5-15's on it. Uhaul's literature says that their trailer can hold 3900 lbs, so as long as your truck weighs less you'll be good to go. (I know you asked about a dolly, but I have never used one)
naranja72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:39 PM   #4
3car

i Trader: (2 )

thanks.im actually going to move a suburban,so length would be an issue with a trailer.i think it will go on a dolly.i will tell them im moving something smaller if i decide to try it.
3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:41 PM   #5
77k5bogger

I pulled my 77k5 on 33s with a dolly. I had to squeze it on there but it worked. I had 33x12.5 on it and it barly fit. But it worked! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif[/img]
77k5bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:48 PM   #6
TrcksR4ME

I would be worried about the weight of a suburban on there. FYI the tow bar can handle more weight but is harder to get your hands on. I use to work for U-Haul, and some dummy lied about his car and low and behold he had to bring the trailer back cause his truck wouldn't fit [img]/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

I think the U-Haul equipment can handle the weight, I think they are conservative on the ratings, but if something happens you might be paying for that dolly, not to mention endangering others on the road. But its up to you [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
TrcksR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:00 AM   #7
rampage

There have been a few people on this board that have actually stuffed their K5 inside a U-haul van. Do a search and you should find out some info.
rampage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:31 AM   #8
tone91

Last summer I had to pull my blazer with my 79 pick up. The car dolly was just barely wide enough and I had to figure out something to make the tire straps long enough. Luckily I had a tow strap that I had allready cut up a little for something else and that seemed to work. I only had 31 x 10.5's on there. It was pretty hairy because it was raining and when I would go around a corner the blazer would push the back end of my pick up. Needless to say I don't think I would use a car dolly for that again. I would get the larger trailer, that has always worked well for me.
tone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:02 AM   #9
MaxCrack

Not gonna happen...I got a bigger one from United Rentals when I had to tow my Blazer. U-Haul did not have one big enough. I'm talkin about the tow dolly where just the front tires were on it.
MaxCrack is offline   Reply With Quote